Alphanumeric Font: Furnace Woods

March 11, 2014

Latest draft of alphanumeric font. I’ve tried to spend some time categorizing and laying down foundations for the letterforms…a tedious process but hopefully once I start dialing in forms and shapes that I’m happy with, things will go more quickly as I transfer repeated shapes from one letter to the next, with minor variations.

“Furnace Woods” typeface in progress:

Furnace_Woods_04

Furnace_Woods_04 (PDF)

 

March 24, 2014

Below is the latest progress on my alphanumeric font, “Furnace Woods”. As I go through the letters, making a slew of corrections to the irregularities between letterforms, I realize that it might have been better to get more finalized hand drawn letter tracings using larger letters before scanning them in and having to make so many corrections to each letter. I’m finding it much more difficult to arrive at satisfactory lines and forms on the computer, given that my initial letterform had such an organic feel to it. Nevertheless, some patterns are emerging and I have been able to duplicate key shapes (such as stems) and apply them across many letters, so the work is progressing. Since we have moved on to start working on our Dystopian Novel project, and we will be using our letterforms on the book cover we are designing, I’ve decided to shift focus to the letters that will appear on my book cover. The book I have chosen is “Lord of The Flies” (my childhood favorite), so I’ve gotten to work on that part of the alphabet.

Below are screenshots of my progress, including some process on how I was able to cobble letters together by cutting similar shapes from other letters. For example, I was able to take the arm of the uppercase “F”, copy just the section I needed, flip it, and use the shapebuilder tool to connect it to the stem of the uppercase “L”.

Furnace_Woods_07(PDF)

 

 

March 26, 2014

 

Here is the next round of revisions….I started working on the lowercase “e” to fit into my dystopian novel book title, but after looking at Karen Cheng’s “Designing type” for reference, thought it would be best to refine my lowercase “o”, beginning with my uppercase “O”. I made some forward progress on the scale of the “O” set, and further revisions will be refinements to the shape to conform more to the original “R”. After working on the “o” I moved on to the “e” and then to the lowercase “c”, since those shapes derive from the “O”. What stands out for the next round of drafts are defining the proportion and scale for the lowercase “d” and “b”, as well as the “p” and “q”.

 

 

Furnace_Woods_08(PDF)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s